Monday, October 18, 2010

OK here it GOes again!


Friday Night. Capital Music Hall. OK GO.


Ok Go is a band known for their ridiculous costumes/outfits worn to awards ceremonies-- does anyone remember the wallpaper/carpet suits they wore to the 2008 Grammy awards?


--they're also well known for their music videos. My two personal favourites are the video for their song 'A Million Ways', where they choreographed a whole dance routine in someones back yard, it has a homemade going back to youtubes roots vibe to it. Plus I'm not going to lie Angela (my old roommate) and I spent hours practicing that dance, we are just that cool- it was a blast! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdbVhBGETQ
My other favourite has become a cult classic on youtube because even if they hadnt performed the song 'Here it goes again' in the background, the video itself stands alone as really impressive. In fact it won a Grammy in 2007 for Best Short-Form Music Video! The guys choreographed a dance on treadmills!! Enough said, go watch it!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

Two bands opened up for Ok Go. Erica and I got seats on the upper floor of the club so we were excited that we'd be able to see really well. The first was a Californian band called Summer Darling. Maybe it was because just prior to the start of the set a girl jumped in front of me and stole my awesome spot so I couldn't see that well, but I wasn't overly impressed with Summer Darling. They had a good sound, but their songs felt like they were hours long and the lead singer jumped around erratically with his mouth open, even when he wasn't singing! Anyways it just wasn't anything I was really surprised and excited about.

The second band is from Chicago and is called Company of Thieves. They have a female lead singer with an amazing voice! She really got into the music -- she was kind of insane-- and was extremely entertaining to watch. I was very impressed with their songs and loved listening. I sometimes write notes on my phone as if I was really a reporter so I dont forget details, this is what I came up with that night-- "Ok Go ahead and call me cheesy but Company of Thieves stole the show. They put the others out of business." get it cause its a company!.. of thieves! .... I realize I'm the only one that thinks I'm clever! :)



I originally went to the concert with all of the Ok Go pop culture symbols in my head, hoping the bands music would live up to that status. Seriously, they didn't fail to entertain. Not only do they have a great sound, catchy music, an amazing lead singer (did I mention gorgeous lead singer?!) but they also made the show their own. True to form, they added lots of details to make the show as Ok Go worthy as possible! They put cameras on their microphones so that the backdrop could show up close shots of each of them throughout the concert, they recorded the entire concert so that people could by it on a usb afterwards, they put up a phone number for people to text to get a free music download, the lead singer, Damian, jumped into the middle of the crowd to play a song and they even played one song entirely with hand bells!

This was so unexpected at a concert-- soo well done!

Possibly the coolest thing about the show was the 3D!! At the beginning of the concert each person was given free 3D glasses as they were going into the hall. Halfway through the concert the band announces that they recently made one of their music videos 3D and that we would be the first people in the world to get to see it!!! So everyone threw on their glasses and watched the video on a giant screen! The video itself was dancing mixed with choreographed dogs doing tricks-- the dogs were pretty impressive!

They played the video just after Damian had sung in the middle of the crowd. This is him announcing the 3D video!
Erica and I decked out in our 3D shades!

For their encore, the band ran back out on stage with jackets on that could show words on the back of them -- I really dont know how to explain that better.. think of those huge belts that have words running across them like a sign -- a moving sign? Anyways I hope that makes sense! Throughout the song different things showed up on their jackets as well as lazer beams coming out of their guitars into the audience!! It was pretty wicked!
These are the back of the jackets, you can kinda see their legs out the bottom!


Lazer beams coming off of guitars.. What What!


I know I say this every time I go to a concert, in fact I'm starting to think its the only thing I want from a concert, but I'm sure Damian and I had a moment! Mind you he jumped into the crowd so he quite literally had a moment with every other person in the audience, but where he stood in the crowd was right in front of Erica and I! He looked up to talk to all of us on the top floor and sang to us! If you watch the first couple seconds of this video, you can take part in that special second in time that we shared!! ;)


"Here it goes again"-- the Real Deal!



-B

1 comment: