Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Meet Max

I am, as many of you know, a self-admitted pack rat but despite what some of you say I won't go so far as to say that I'm a hoarder! Yes its true that I may have just found a Birthday card from 1995 but I did have the strength to throw it out and that right there sets me apart from the emotional hoarders!!
Despite most of your aversions to it there are some perks to keeping every card, pamphlet, note, concert ticket.. etc. from the time you were little. Today while I was cleaning my closet I was very happy to come across the speech I wrote in the fourth grade--- I won that year and had to say it in front of the whole school!

I'm pretty sure my dad did a bit more than encouraging me that year since I'm pretty sure I didnt even know some of the words I used in the speech when I was that age ( 8 or 9.. how old are you in the 4th Grade?).

That year I chose to write about my dog Max, who is pretty much the only animal I've ever had. He died a few days before I left home for University and I used to think it was his only way of coming with me. Growing up I used to lay on the floor and use his tummy as a pillow when I watched movies.. to be honest I was only about 5 or 6 when we got him so I literally grew up with him and I think he kind of looked at me as his little girl.
I thought I'd share the speech I wrote because its actually kinda funny and it sums him up pretty perfectly--- pretty much a terror that you couldn't help loving!

My ode to Max from the point of view of a 4th Grader:

"Do any of you know the cutest and the smartest dog on the block? The dog that knows what day of the week it is! Well that's my dog, Max.
He was born on December 5th, 1993. We got him in London in 1994 on January 18th. When we got home Max had to investigate. We noticed that he really liked the colour purple. We knew it because he kept eating everything that was purple, especially my sister Jessica's purple socks!

Max is a golden retriever. Now he is four, with big floppy ears and a pink nose. Max is always excited when me and my family get home. In the past year we noticed that he seems to have a special bark for every person, even one for the mail girl! Max really likes the mail girl because she brings him a treat. My Dad says thats about the only good thing she brings! Max loves to dig and eat. There are big holes all over the yard. Mom says, too bad he couldn't dig the garden, but NOT the flower bed!

Max is a water dog. He will drive, roll, jump or try to swim in anything wet. Puddles are his favourite especially muddy ones. He loves to roll in them, get really dirty then jump up on my dad. He seems to know when you have brand new or freshly washed clothes on. In the summer we fill up a play pool for him. He loves his pool but chewed holes through it last summer. Dad figures he got tired of the colour and wants a new one, likely purple!

Max eats everything he can get his paws on. He especially likes to chew up plastic pop bottles, pools and wooden 2 X 4's. The only thing Max doesn't like is dog food, so we mix people food with dog food so he will eat it.
He doesn't know very many tricks. His tricks consist of how to sit, lay, roll over and come. He learned to come when my Dad took him for walks on the railroad tracks. He let him loose and then praised him when he came back. I wish I could take Max for a walk, but my Dad says Max would probably walk me!
Every Saturday and Sunday morning Max cries and barks because he knows it is walk day. How he knows we're not sure, but he does! My dad says Max can tell when dad has stayed up late, because he tries to get him up even earlier. Mom says it serves him right!

Max spends most of his day outside on a 30ft chain. He has enough chain to get into the mudroom where he has learned to open and shut the door depending on the weather. He thinks he's a guard dog. He barks at everyone, especially our family. The neighbours say he actually only barks when we're home. They think he's trying to earn his keep, whatever that means!

Max's worst habit is that he jumps up on people. Last year he jumped up on the Heart and Stroke lady. Hearing a scream my dad ran out and found Max running around with her receipt book in his mouth. Dad said it took a lot of money to settle her down!

Max is a true retriever whether you want him to or not. His favourite game is towel around the table. That's where he steals a towel and runs around our circular kitchen table so that we will chase him to get it back.

Even though he has a lot of faults, he's still my Maxy and I love him!"
-B

4 comments:

  1. I loved this. Yeah Dad totally wrote it, my only complaint is that I wish it was longer. I love you, thanks for putting that up. It made me laugh, I also wrote a speech about Max, I should find it. I think I got sick that year and taped it, and made Owen take it to school. Needless to say I didn't win.
    Love ya, thanks again.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an adorable story! i also like keeping everything i wrote and did well on...whether it be a grade 2 spelling test or a university exam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Bri. It actually made me laugh out loud. You neglected the part where he used to try and hump me on a daily basic. Good Times!
    Love Ya, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahah!! Yes we really should have got the poor thing neutered.. then he probably wouldnt have had the humping problem!

    ReplyDelete