Sunday, April 17, 2011

Culture? I'll need to look that one up!

I'd like to say that when it comes to food I'm the adventurous type, but we all know that isn't exactly true. While I'm open to trying new things and I'd probably eat anything at least once, on a regular basis my diet is.. how would other people describe it? .. well... bland. I guess I can see where they are coming from, unlike most people who eat different kinds of food from all over the world often, my idea of eating something foreign is going out for Chinese food! Growing up we pretty much rotated between hot dogs, hamburgers, spaghetti, fish sticks and a few varieties of meat and potatoes!
Without telling Jessica what this blog was about, I asked her what the closest thing we had to 'foreign' food growing up. She responded that once in P.E.I. we had lobster but we hated it so our Dad bought us cheeseburgers!! Do you see?!
Up until about two years ago I would order a hamburger and fries at Chinese restaurants. I was even a bit of a snob about it, I once refused to eat at a restaurant with my family because I insisted I wouldn't eat anywhere that served frog legs!
I think I've come a long way since then!! Part of the problem is that I can't handle any level of spiciness and my idea of a fancy addition to a meal is ketchup!
Lets just say that despite my recent branching out, at heart, I will always be the girl that would be just as happy with a hamburger!

That said I'd like to think I know my stuff and you NEEED to try this......

Introducing:

Dicks Drive-In and Dairy Dip

1485 Merivale Rd, Nepean
http://dickshamburgers.com/

A few months ago, Thea (aka Work Bestie) and I were driving down Merivale and we saw a sign advertising Ostrich burgers!! In unison we both exclaimed that that was something we absolutely must try!
It took us a little bit to get our butts in gear to get there but it was worth the wait!!!

The restaurant itself is modeled after an old fashioned malt shop (Think Archie comics style!). We decided to go all out and started with milkshakes!

I decided on the safe Strawberry route and Thea got an Avocado milkshake.... I recommend it!! It kind of tasted like uncooked cake batter (I realize this may have just changed your mind!).




Then the deliciousness continued!! We both ordered Ostrich burgers. Thea got a fries/onion rings combo and I got sweet potato fries!


I totally thought Ostrich would taste like chicken. My logic: They're both birds right?! ... wrong! Well no.. they are both birds, but Ostrich does not taste like chicken. If someone served you an ostrich burger you probably wouldn't even notice a difference between it and a regular ol' hamburg. When you stop and look for it there is a slightly different texture but otherwise an Ostrich burger mainly just offers a delicious and juicy alternative if you don't want beef! ... and if you want something to brag about!

The perfect part of this meal is that it is completely acceptable for me to lace everything with Ketchup. Embarrassingly I apparently eat like a five year old because I ended up with Ketchup everywhere... seriously.. we found it in my hair .. don't ask me how! (Note to self: Maybe not a good first date destination!)

With an outdoor patio, Dicks is going to be THE perfect destination all Spring and Summer long! The staff is amazing, they totally know their stuff and you can tell they are 100% behind the quality of food they offer!

Dicks has a whole bunch of specialty burgers.
Ostrich ..... Check!
Next time? On to the Kangaroo Burger!! So excited that that's not an exaggeration!

4 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me happy. I love reading them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm totally the same way. i'd like to think i'd be very adventurous and up for trying new things...but i always end up eating the blandest thing on the menu. my palate (and stomach) simply cannot tolerate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading the description of ur gastronome childhood experiences =P ...i thought that ur love for fish sticks was something new, lol!
    Well i have to say that I admire you for trying those hamburgers. Even when i enjoy trying new things for the sake of it, I don't think I would eat an entire oyster hamburgers =s I guess i'll use my excuse that i'm pseudo-vegetarian, lol! I will certainly visit the place though, those milkshakes look delicious!!!!! =) do they have any other crazy flavours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO hungry now! We'll have to try more odd food because this was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete