Thursday, November 11, 2010

Havana Cafe



A couple days ago, I spent the morning working at a brand new cafe on Bank St. called Havana Cafe and Catering. This was my very first time in a work setting that was a kitchen environment and I loved it--- I realize that most of you reading this are thinking that it was one of my first times in any kitchen, or at least one without a microwave! I was only at the store for a few hours; I ran errands, helped prepare sandwiches and gave samples out to people walking by on the street. I worked all morning with the chef, who is a super sweet, talented Cuban man that makes hilarious jokes in the same tone as if he were just telling me to pass him the salt-- they are so subtle and unexpected that they catch you off guard and make you laugh even harder! He introduced me to each of the items on the menu--- translation I spent the entire shift eating delicious Cuban food!! Seriously I was stuffed for the rest of the day!

We started with what he calls Mojito Lemonade, which is lemonade that I ground mint leaves into, leaving the lemonade with a minty kick. Then we put together some beef sandwiches, which I worried would be too hot for me when I added spicy peppers but somehow it just added delicious flavour without being painful for me to eat. It was fun making them. He asked me if I had ever made a sandwich before, and I wasnt sure how to answer. Sure I have made PB&J sandwiches before, but somehow I don't think that's what he meant! Embarrassingly later on, I had to ask how to cut the buns properly--- I know how I would cut a bun, but I was worried my bun cutting skills wouldn't meet his standards so I figured I should ask first before making a fool out of myself by doing it wrong.. I think what I realized is that I made a fool out of myself either way!
I went outside for part of the day to give out samples of Yuca. Yuca is from the potato family, it is cut up into strips like French fries and deep fried. It comes with a garlic/lime sauce. It was fun getting people to try it out on the street because most people, including myself, had never heard of it before.

I have a serious thing for fries-- french fries, sweet potato fries, you name it and I'm hooked.. well Yuca fries are at the top of my current list!

I also gave out samples of the Classic Cuban sandwich, which is my favourite! It is served grilled and the pickle gives it great flavour-- my mouth is watering just thinking about it.. I've been continuously craving it ever since!


Lastly, I tried a beef, vegetable and rice soup. The soup was really good but sadly I am the wimpiest of Canadians when it comes to spicy foods! My eyes started watering and I couldnt stop coughing! Try explaining to a Cuban that something is too spicy! He kept saying over and over, 'Its not too spicy'.. I am sure he is right for about 99% of the population but lets be honest, too much pepper is spicy for me!!

In a lot of ways, putting me and kitchen in a sentence feels like an oxymoron-- knives freak me out, I seem to burn myself at every opportunity and I'm not lying when I admit that I had to ask someone a few months ago how to use a kettle. On the other hand, there is something very empowering and creative about making food. As I watched the chef meticulously arrange things on the plate, it was obvious that he looks at food almost as an art. He is proud of what he has made.. and believe me I've tasted it, he should be proud! Who knows, maybe if I put some time and effort into it- or my microwave suddenly breaks- I will find my inner chef!

-B

P.S.
Havana Cafe
1200 Bank St.
Mon-Fri 10am-7pm
Sat 10am-5pm
Seriously go check it out-- Prices are just as good as the food!

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is just WATERING reading about this all! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete