Monday, July 18, 2011

Ottawa Polo Match

This weekend I went to my very first polo match and I think I have fallen in love. The sport combines the classiness of country clubs with the down to earth and easy going nature of the country. Give me horses and nice hats and I am a happy girl!!



The Nepean Equestrian Park was hosting a charity Polo tournament to support the Boys & Girls Club of Ottawa. Marieve and I went to check it out and wore our game day hats!







Then for the part I was most excited about: the Divot Stomp! I dreamed of feeling like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she stomps the perfectly formed divots. Sadly in real life it doesn't quite translate. We stomped down a couple but most of them looked unnervingly like "steaming divots" so we settled for the free ice cream they were giving out instead! Kind of a let down actually.


The games themselves were definitely not! I think I could watch horses all day but this was extra special. The skill it takes to play polo is amazing. They navigate the horses using the stirrups so that their arms are left free to wield the mallet. There is no way I would be able to concentrate on hitting the ball and managing to not run into other horses at the same time.

I am a polo convert. I just need to marry a Van der Burgt and add 'the second' to the end of my children's names and I will be a polo mom before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment